Developing in QT is made easy by running the tool chain in a Docker container which allows you to do all your development on a Windows computer. OpenPV comes with a pre-built Docker container that has the open source version of QT pre-installed which will run on Ubuntu all within the container.
Specific steps for installing third party tools may change from version to version so please consult providers documentation.
Step 1 - Enable WSL 2
- From a Command Prompt run the following command.
- wsl --install
Step 2 - Install Ubuntu 22.04
- From a Command Prompt type the following to get a listing of all the distributions available:
- wsl --list --online
- Verify Ubuntu 22.04 is available in the list
- Install 22.04 by running the following command
- wsl --install -d Ubuntu-22.04
Step 3 - Install Docker for Desktop
- Use the default settings (Use WSL-2), when complete you will see this message.
- Launch Docker Desktop to verify it is working correctly. If you get a "Access Denied" error you will need to add yourself to the users group.
- Launch the Command Prompt in administrator mode then execute the following command
- net localgroup docker-users DOMAIN\user name /add
- To find your username and domain (used on corporate computers)go to your Windows Setting->Acccounts
- Reboot after completing this command successfully.
- Launch Docker Desktop and verify engine is running in the system tray hidden icons.
Step 4 - Download QT Container
- Launch OpenPV and select Plugins
- Select "Software Install - OpenView QT5 Container" then Download Plugin - this may take up 15 minutes to download. The console will close once the installation is complete.
- Note: The QT5 Container may not show in the plugins list if Docker Desktop is not yet installed.
Step 5 - Launch the Container
- Once the container is successfully installed select the "Launch" button to open the container and begin developing in QT.