- High rate duty float charging, 4.5A
- Selectable DC output for 12V or 24V nominal, lead acid or NiCd batteries.
- Low ripple, switch mode output for both sealed or vented batteries
- Fully automatic charge regulation
- Boost mode
- Charge fail alarm output
- Universal 95 to 277 VAC power supply
- Open-frame circuit board, DIN-rail mounted
The SM135 is a highly efficient performance charger, designed for continuous float charging and standby battery applications. Switch mode technology gives major advances in power supply and battery charger design: compact and lightweight construction, improved efficiency and low heat dissipation, wide supply voltage tolerance and low output ripple. The result is fast, accurate charging, for optimum battery life and reliability.
The wide input voltage range, from 95-277VAC, allows the charger to be used with all common single phase power supplies without adjustment. The very smooth DC output (<1% ripple) makes the SM135 suited for charging sealed VRLA, AGM and Gel batteries, as well as standard vented lead acid and NiCd cells. The charger uses an open-frame circuit board construction with DIN rail clips, for mounting in an enclosed control panel.
In charge recovery mode, the SM135 gives a constant current output, maximizing the charge recovery rate. As battery voltage approaches the charger’s ‘knee point’(13 Volts for 12 Volt LA – see graph right), the charger reverts to float charge mode, ramping down output current to maintain optimal cell voltage (without overcharge), while supporting additional battery loads up to the rated maximum current.
Charge current vs voltage
The SM135 can be configured for one of four different charge output voltage settings: circuit board pin header links allow selection of 12V or 24V nominal output voltages, and lead acid or NiCd battery types – see Calibration section.
Boost mode gives an increase in output charge voltage, e.g. for periodic equalizing of charge across cells. To activate boost mode, link the BST terminal to battery negative/ground, ideally using a time relay to limit the boost time period. The boost voltage level is dependent on the selected nominal voltage and battery type – see Calibration section. For each configuration, boost voltage may fine-adjusted if required using one of four potentiometers.
Charge fail output
A charge fail output provides for remote signalling of charger and battery fault conditions.
The output is a solid state transistor rated 200mA, suitable for driving a relay coil, indicating LED (with resistor) or lamp, or control panel annunciator. The output is active (+DC) in normal operation, except momentarily (approx 150milliSec every 2 minutes) when the SM135 switches off the DC output to check battery voltage. The output de-activates during fault conditions, e.g. during AC supply input failure, or if measured battery voltage falls below 66% of nominal.
The SM135 charge output may be remotely enabled or disabled, should this be required for the application. Connect the EN terminal to battery positive to enable the DC charge output, or make EN open-circuit to disable. The charge output also deactivates automatically if measured battery voltage falls below a set level (normally 62% of nominal voltage, adjustable via R42).
- Power Supply
- Operating voltage: 95 to 277 V AC
- Operating frequency: 47 – 440 Hz.
- DC Charge Output
- Nominal DC output: 4.5A, switchable 12 or 24V, lead acid or NiCd
- Float/boost voltage: See ‘output calibration’ table
- Output ripple: <1%
- Line regulation: <1%
- Load regulation: <1%
- Charge Fail Output
- Output type: solid-state transistor, active high (+DC), 200mA max., deactivated during fault conditions.
- Operating temperature: –10 to +55°C / 14 to +131°F
- Dimensions: see Dimensions diagram
- Weight: 0.5 kg / 1.1 lb
- Electromagnetic compatibility: EN50081-2, EN50082-2
|Standard battery types||float volts (V DC)||boost volts (V DC)|
|12V||Lead acid (6 cells)||13.7||14.5|
|NiCd (10 cells)||14.2||14.7|
|24V||Lead acid (12 cells)||27.2||28.2|
|NiCd (20 cells)||28.4||29.4|
Standard units are supplied with calibration set for 12V lead acid. Calibration may be selected using one of four pairs of circuit board pin header links:
- F1, AC supply fuse, 5A (anti-surge)
- F2, MOSFET protection fuse, 5A (quick-blow)
- Charge Fail output shown driving an alarm relay, maximum coil rating 200mA, contacts shown in de-energised (fault) state
- For boost mode, link the Bst terminal to battery negative, ideally via time relay contacts to automatically limit boost time.
- 2 x Gnd/Earth terminals are internally connected to charger chassis. Charger DC output is isolated from chassis/ground.
How to Order
Note: This item is sold exclusively through our UK office. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
|42.70.4500||SM1351224CD||SM135 battery charger, 4.5A, selectable 12 or 24V output|
Note: the above is supplied with DC output set for 12V lead-acid. For other battery types, see calibration above.