Recommended Connectors: Appleton CG-1850 or CG-2550 Cord Grip Connectors
- Install the cord grip connector into the EVS case using 2 wraps (minimum)/3 wraps (maximum) of Teflon tape covering the entire thread of the ½ inch NPT end and tighten the cord grip housing into place.
- Push the cord grip nut then the washer over the end of the outer braid on the shipboard cable.
- Strip the outer sheath and braid of the shipboard cable and allow the desired length of
insulated wire to be exposed.
- Push the braid back from the end of the cable’s insulating sheath approximately 1 - 2 inches and allow it to flair out.
- Pull the washer up to the braid, push it into the flared braid to seat the braid firmly against the washer, and trim the braid to the diameter of the washer.
- Push the cord grip grommet over the cable sheath up to the braid flair and sandwich the flair between the washer and the grommet.
- Insert the stripped cable and grommet into the cord grip housing and push it in until the grommet is firmly in place.
- When installing the shipboard cable into the cord grip connector, it is important to align the shipboard cable and grommet with the axis of the connector housing and keep it as straight as possible.
- Pull the nut over the washer and braid, thread the nut onto the cord grip housing and hand tighten the nut as tight as it will go by hand. Do NOT use pliers or wrench as it will over tighten and damage the seal.
- The grommet must remain seated squarely in the housing as the nut and washer is tightened onto the housing. This will help to prevent water from getting through.
- When completed the cable should be tight in the rubber seal and should not slip in or out of the connector. A long slow bend can be applied to fit the installation.
- Use a 90 degree cord grip connector where tight bends are desired and orient the opening at the lowest point (bottom).
- This process should be followed for straight or 90 degree cord grip connectors.